Saturday 20 August 2011

Update on Etape Cymru training: Sat 20th August

Planned to go out today, from Chester, down to Wrexham, over the Garth and then over World's End and then back to Chester. It turned out to be an eventful day !

First of all, I took a photo of my bike which is below:


It has an aluminium frame with carbon fibre forks, Shimano Ultegra groupset, and Mavic Aksium wheels. 

The ride didn't exactly go to plan as I got lost in Wrexham, and ended up doing an extra 10 miles or so.
Then, due to a mapping error, I don't think I went up Garth Road, but Tower Hill Road instead - that was quite a steep hill, but maybe over a slightly longer distance. I ended up on Panorama Walk, which was fantastic, although quite a lot of stones in the middle of the road. I took some pictures from Panorama Walk which are below:


Then after cycling along Panorama Walk for a while, I started going up World's End.
Those of you familiar with World's End may know there is a ford on the way up (from the Llangollen side) which I took a picture of (below):


Unfortunately, about 1 minute after I took this picture, I tried to cycle over the ford and went "arse over tit" (for any Americans reading this, this is a british expression which is not generally considered offensive). I banged my left hip quite hard, and couldn't ride up the rest of World's End, and also had trouble walking up.

Once I got to the top, I just about got back on the bike and managed to cycle, a bit slowly and painfully home (it was mainly downhill which was good).

I switched off the cycle computer when I was walking up, but despite the fall, managed 53 miles in 3 hours 45 mins, but this is probably because the ride was fairly flat for the first 25 miles.

I think on the day itself, I'll probably walk across the ford :)

No comments:

Post a Comment